It's funny to think that after all this time, I settled on simply using two rulers and a 5"x7" cut of museum (anti-reflective) glass. For this method, I lay the uncut film flat on the scanner glass, put one ruler on each side of the frame(s) I'm scanning, and lay the museum glass on top of the rulers. My first attempt involved laying the museum glass directly on top of the film, but doing so caused a bunch of newton rings to show up on my image.
Here are the settings that I used on Epson Scan when doing my experimenting:
I am very appreciative of owning my own Epson V700, but when it comes down to it, the image straight form the scanner definitely isn't perfect. After a handful of simple adjustments, I was able to get the final result to something I thought was appropriate. Here are my adjustments in Lightroom:
If you look closely on the left side of the frame, there is still a small Newton ring that is visible, but I'm cool with it and still consider this image useable for displaying on the web.
If all goes well, I'll be able to start presenting shoots that I've done over the years that included images on film, and other photos of people that have been waiting (and waiting, and waiting...)